Smiling Acres Music Festival
Background Check Policy
The Smiling Acres Music Festival’s (SAMF) purpose in instituting a background check policy is to establish standards which minimize risks to the organization’s personnel, customers, and visitors; to promote a safe environment; to protect the organization’s reputation, and to protect key organizational assets, such as people, property, and information. The policies and procedures stated herein shall apply to all Smiling Acres Music Festival programs, employees, student interns, volunteers, or applicants for various positions.
STAFF: Board members, employees, volunteers, and/or student interns
SAMF: Smiling Acres Music Festival
1. Background checks shall be conducted on staff, to uphold the public trust, minimize legal liability, and/or adverse public reaction, which, as a part of their usual duties has the potential responsibility for handling situations with adults or children, or those who handle SMAF funds, and volunteers for the festival.
2. All existing staff shall be subject to a background check, as will applicants for new positions. Ongoing status checks shall be conducted periodically, at the discretion and frequency deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors.
3. All background checks will be conducted and processed under the provisions of the Michigan Freedom of Information Act. P.A. 442 of 1976.
4. In the event that it is determined that an individual has been convicted of any serious criminal offense, the information found will be considered by SAMF in making decisions as to whether to hire an applicant for employment or utilize them for volunteer services, or to reassign, suspend and/or terminate an individual, whether an employee or volunteer.
1. sexual misconduct of any kind, including but not limited to criminal sexual conduct in any degree, sexual abuse, prostitution, solicitation, indecent exposure, gross indecency, and/or the attempt of any such offenses, or2. acts of violent aggression of any kind, including but not limited to assault, arson, child abuse, vulnerable adult abuse, homicide, kidnapping, malicious destruction of property, robbery, riot, stalking, and/or the attempt of any such offenses, then SAMF shall deny employment to any such applicant or staff or shall suspend or terminate the employment or services of any such employee or volunteer.
A. Any misdemeanor conviction will be used to make decisions up to and including reassignment, sanctions and/or discharge, especially where the misdemeanor is found to be related to the job responsibilities of the person.
B. SAMF reserves the right to use any felony conviction as a basis for a decision up to and including reassignment, sanctions and/or discharge.
C. In the event that a criminal conviction involves the conviction of use, possession, or sales of illicit or controlled substances, including the operation of a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or illicit substances, may also be the basis for reassignment, suspension, and/or termination of employment or volunteer services.
A. The application packet shall include such documents that serve to inform applicants that they shall be subject to a background check.
B. Each applicant shall complete an authorization to obtain information and/or general release of information document to be considered for employment or volunteer services. The completed authorization form(s) will be forwarded for processing. Failure to return these documents shall constitute a withdrawal of the request for employment or volunteer service.
C. Results from the background checks shall be forwarded to the Volunteer Services Committee, as appropriate, for review and action. SAMF reserves the right to act on the results of such inquiries to best serve its interests and those of the people it serves.
D. Copies of the completed application packet, authorization forms, and any documents obtained through the background checks, shall be maintained in the candidate’s personnel file. The privacy of the files shall be maintained, as indicated by the SAMF Board of Directors.
2. Ongoing Personnel Management:
A. The Volunteer Services Committee shall be responsible for ensuring the periodic review of agency staff and shall conduct repeat background checks at the discretion and frequency as determined by the Board of Directors.
B. The processing of repeat background checks will occur in the same manner as denoted under hiring practices above.
C. Results will be reviewed for job relatedness. Reassignment of position, suspension, or discharge may occur because of the background checks, dependent on the seriousness of the criminal conviction and the position occupied by the staff person.
3. Negative Action:
A. Staff will be given an opportunity to explain any results obtained through the background checks before any adverse action is taken. Factors such as the age of the individual at the time of the conduct, the recency of and circumstances surrounding the conduct will be taken into consideration in the decision-making process.
B. The Volunteer Services Committee will make a recommendation to the Board of Directors for action. This recommendation will be forwarded, with identifying characteristics such as the individual’s name withheld, for discussion and decision as part of a regular business meeting of SAMF.
C. Any decision of the Volunteer Services Committee may be appealed, in writing, within 30 days of the receipt of the negative action letter, to the SAMF Board of Directors. Implementing this appeal process may limit the ability of SAMF to assure the privacy of the individual facing adverse action.
Smiling Acres Music Festival Volunteer Rules
1. Volunteers must submit a volunteer form.
2. Volunteers must work 2 4-hour shifts.
3. Volunteers must be sober for their shifts. No smoking/vaping/drinking are allowed during shift.
A. If volunteer is found to be incapacitated, volunteer in unable to work their shift and will be banned from volunteering the following year. Volunteer could be banned for life if the Volunteer Service Committee chooses to bring offense to the SAMF Board of Directors.
4. Failure to show for your shift on time deems you to be a no-show. This will ban you from volunteering for the following year.
Volunteers will receive 1 adult weekend camping pass ticket. This is for entry and camping for the whole weekend.
Volunteers will be given a volunteer t-shirt. Please wear this shirt during your shift only.
Volunteers will also be given meal vouchers that can be redeemed only at the Sunshine Café.